Debugging Server 500 errors / blank pages

If you need any help with installing WP-United for phpBB3, then you can ask for help here.
Forum rules
Posts reporting bugs, or requesting help with installation errors, MUST carry the following information:

• Information copy/pasted from the "Get Help" section of the WP-United admin panel.
  • A detailed description / exact copy of the error. If the error message is blank, please follow these instructions for uncovering the error
  • A list of any other phpBB mods you are using.

Please ensure you have also read the included README_FIRST file before posting.

Debugging Server 500 errors / blank pages

Postby Jhong » Mon 24 Dec, 2012 1:01 pm

If, when trying to connect to your forum, the WP-United setup doesn't let you proceed, it will return with a screen telling you the error encountered.

If the error message is empty, or just says something uninformative, such as "server 500 error", error messages are being suppressed on your server.

Why?

This is normal: It is important to suppress errors on production sites, as hackers can purposely provoke errors on your site in order to read the error messages and learn more about your server setup.

However, in order to find out what is wrong with your setup and figure out why WP-United is not connecting, we need that information.

Where to check first

The first place to look is in your PHP error log. If you manage your own Linux server, it will probably be somewhere like /var/log/apache2/error.log. The error log may contain a whole bunch of errors unrelated to WP-United too -- so provoke the error just prior to looking in the log, or keep the last lines of the error log on-screen using the tail -f command.

On a shared host, you may be able to access and view your PHP error log via your control panel.

I can't access my error log; or there's nothing in there

Please try the following, in order, to try to expose the error. Eventually you will see an error on the screen or in your PHP error log.

• Turn on phpBB debugging in phpBB's config.php by uncommenting the two DEBUG lines.
  • Disable error suppression in phpBB mods by opening phpBB's common.php, and removing the @ from @include($phpbb_root_path . 'includes/hooks/' ...
  • Turn on WordPress debugging in WordPress' wp-config.php by adding define('WP_DEBUG', TRUE); somewhere.

OMG, that's a lot of errors!

After going through these steps, if you have a bunch of WordPress plugins installed, you will likely suddenly uncover a lot of PHP notices and warnings that you never knew existed.

Usually, most of these warnings or notices will be from your theme or other plugins, especially older WordPress plugins that haven't been updated for a while. In most cases, although it is good practice to understand and eliminate them, you can probably ignore them.

If setup is failing, you are looking for a fatal error during that page load.

Please post this information, along with your "Get Help" information, when seeking support.
Did WP-United help you with your site? Please help:
Thank you!

Please don't ask questions by PM :-)
Jhong
Site Admin
Site Admin

My WP-United Site: www.wp-united.com

Re: Debugging Server 500 errors / blank pages

Postby oculushut » Thu 14 Mar, 2013 10:14 am

Hi there, any tips?

I am getting an error after trying to setup... I used AutoMOD on phpbb... there were some "DIY" instructions even after the AutoMOD, but I am assuming they are for if you did not use AutoMOD?

Below is an error from my httpd error logs:

[error] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] PHP Fatal error: Cannot redeclare make_clickable() (previously declared in /var/www/html/blog/wp-includes/formatting.php:1573) in /var/www/html/phpBB3/includes/functions_content.php on line 679, referer: http://xxx.xxxxxx.xxx/xxx/wp-admin/admi ... ited-setup

From Wordpress:

WP-United Version : 0.9.2.4-r0
WordPress Version : 3.5.1
PHP Version : 5.3.20
WP-United enabled? : No
WordPress Home URL : http://www.san.com/it/
WordPress Base URL : http://www.san.com/it/
WordPress Plugin URL : http://www.san.com/it/ised/all/ele/
phpBB URL : Unknown
Plugin Path : /ments/www/are/it/ised/all/ele/
WordPress Path : /ments/www/are/it/
phpBB Path : /ments/www/are/hidden/
Active plugins : akismet/akismet.php, google-analytics-for-wordpress/googleanalytics.php, simple-page-ordering/simple-page-ordering.php, ultimate-tinymce/main.php, wordpress-seo/wp-seo.php, wp-facebook-open-graph-protocol/wp-facebook-ogp.php, wp-united/wp-united.php, yop-poll/yop_poll.php
Current theme : Twenty Ten
Allocated memory : 35131.719298246M
Memory limit : 256M
Locale : en_US
integrateLogin : 0
showHdrFtr : NONE
wpSimpleHdr : 1
dtdSwitch : 0
phpbbCensor : 1
wpPageName : page.php
phpbbPadding : 6-12-6-12
xposting : 0
phpbbSmilies : 0
integcreatewp : 1
integcreatephpbb : 1
xpostautolink : 0
xpostspam : all
xpostforce : -1
xposttype : excerpt
xpostprefix : [BLOG]
cssMagic : 1
templateVoodoo : 1
useForumPage : 1

Thanks!

Alan
www.oculushut.com
- A big fat slice of VR
oculushut
New User
New User

Postby Jhong » Mon 18 Mar, 2013 4:45 pm

Hi,

The error basically means that the MOD has not been applied. Check the AutoMod settings to see what method you have for uploading the changed files -- and ensure that it works.

Sometimes AutoMod can FTP changed files to the wrong location. Sometimes it offers a compressed file for download and you have to upload them yourself -- it really depends on your server settings.

J
Did WP-United help you with your site? Please help:
Thank you!

Please don't ask questions by PM :-)
Jhong
Site Admin
Site Admin

My WP-United Site: www.wp-united.com

Postby oculushut » Tue 19 Mar, 2013 8:49 pm

Hey thanks for response. I found that in the end the issue was that I had not given ownership of the phpBB files to apache user. I did this, uninstalled the MOD, reinstalled it and everything then worked! Thank you!
www.oculushut.com
- A big fat slice of VR
oculushut
New User
New User

Blank Pages after Tapatalk integration

Postby F4st1DiO » Wed 30 Oct, 2013 8:42 pm

Dear community,
i found a problem trying to install wp-united with and without the Tapatalk integration.
At this moment, if i install and activate WP United, i get Wordpress frontend and backend as blank page. (source code is empty). No errors on php log.
I really need some tricks to make a debug because I can't get any usefull data...
Let me know.

The website is http://www.alleanzaribelle.it and the forum is on http://www.alleanzaribelle.it/forum
F4st1DiO
New User
New User

Interesting website

Postby Pontciz » Wed 17 Dec, 2014 8:47 am

Find out more! http://asredas.ru
I used to be more than happy to search out this web-site.I wanted to thanks in your time for this glorious learn!! I positively having fun with each little little bit of it and I've you bookmarked to check out new stuff you weblog post.
Can I simply say what a reduction to find somebody who truly is aware of what theyre talking about on the internet. You positively know easy methods to bring a problem to gentle and make it important. More people have to learn this and perceive this aspect of the story. I cant imagine youre no more standard because you undoubtedly have the gift.
very good post, i definitely love this website, keep on it
It’s arduous to seek out educated folks on this topic, but you sound like you recognize what you’re talking about! Thanks
You must participate in a contest for among the best blogs on the web. I will suggest this website!
An interesting dialogue is worth comment. I believe that you need to write more on this matter, it may not be a taboo subject however usually persons are not sufficient to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers
Hello! I just wish to give a huge thumbs up for the good info you could have right here on this post. I can be coming again to your blog for more soon.
This really answered my downside, thank you!
There are some attention-grabbing points in time in this article however I don’t know if I see all of them center to heart. There is some validity however I'll take hold opinion till I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we want more! Added to FeedBurner as nicely
you've got a great blog right here! would you wish to make some invite posts on my weblog?
When I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get 4 emails with the same comment. Is there any way you can take away me from that service? Thanks!
The next time I read a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I mean, I do know it was my option to read, but I truly thought youd have something attention-grabbing to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you would fix should you werent too busy looking for attention.
Spot on with this write-up, I really suppose this web site needs way more consideration. I’ll most likely be again to read way more, thanks for that info.
Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive learn something like this before. So good to seek out any individual with some unique thoughts on this subject. realy thank you for beginning this up. this web site is something that's wanted on the internet, someone with a little originality. helpful job for bringing something new to the web!
I’d need to verify with you here. Which isn't one thing I normally do! I get pleasure from reading a submit that may make individuals think. Additionally, thanks for allowing me to comment!
This is the precise weblog for anybody who needs to search out out about this topic. You realize so much its almost exhausting to argue with you (not that I actually would need…HaHa). You undoubtedly put a new spin on a topic thats been written about for years. Great stuff, simply nice!
Aw, this was a very nice post. In thought I wish to put in writing like this additionally – taking time and actual effort to make a very good article… however what can I say… I procrastinate alot and not at all seem to get something done.
I’m impressed, I must say. Actually not often do I encounter a weblog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me inform you, you've hit the nail on the head. Your thought is outstanding; the issue is something that not enough persons are speaking intelligently about. I'm very joyful that I stumbled across this in my search for something referring to this.
Oh my goodness! an incredible article dude. Thank you Nonetheless I'm experiencing difficulty with ur rss . Don’t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anybody getting an identical rss downside? Anybody who is aware of kindly respond. Thnkx
WONDERFUL Post.thanks for share..more wait .. …
Mobile apps, news and games. Find out more! http://asredas.ru
There are actually lots of particulars like that to take into consideration. That is a great level to convey up. I provide the thoughts above as general inspiration however clearly there are questions like the one you bring up the place an important thing might be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if finest practices have emerged round things like that, however I am positive that your job is clearly identified as a good game. Each boys and girls really feel the affect of only a moment’s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.
A powerful share, I simply given this onto a colleague who was doing somewhat analysis on this. And he the truth is purchased me breakfast as a result of I discovered it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! However yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love studying more on this topic. If attainable, as you turn into experience, would you thoughts updating your weblog with extra details? It's extremely useful for me. Big thumb up for this weblog put up!
After study just a few of the blog posts on your web site now, and I actually like your means of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark website listing and might be checking again soon. Pls try my website online as nicely and let me know what you think.
Your place is valueble for me. Thanks!…
This website online is really a walk-by means of for the entire data you needed about this and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse here, and you’ll positively uncover it.
There's noticeably a bundle to find out about this. I assume you made certain good factors in features also.
You made some respectable factors there. I appeared on the web for the problem and found most individuals will go together with together with your website.
Would you be keen on exchanging links?
Good post. I be taught one thing tougher on totally different blogs everyday. It would all the time be stimulating to learn content from other writers and follow just a little one thing from their store. I’d favor to use some with the content material on my weblog whether or not you don’t mind. Natually I’ll offer you a hyperlink in your net blog. Thanks for sharing.
I found your blog website on google and verify a number of of your early posts. Continue to maintain up the very good operate. I just extra up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. Looking for forward to studying extra from you afterward!…
I'm typically to running a blog and i really admire your content. The article has actually peaks my interest. I'm going to bookmark your web site and maintain checking for new information.
Pontciz
Friend
Friend

Intriguing website

Postby Pontciz » Wed 17 Dec, 2014 8:48 am

Find out more! http://asredas.ru
I was more than happy to find this internet-site.I wanted to thanks for your time for this glorious learn!! I undoubtedly enjoying every little bit of it and I've you bookmarked to take a look at new stuff you blog post.
Can I simply say what a reduction to search out somebody who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You positively know learn how to convey a difficulty to mild and make it important. More individuals must read this and understand this facet of the story. I cant believe youre no more common since you undoubtedly have the gift.
very good put up, i actually love this web site, carry on it
It’s onerous to seek out educated individuals on this topic, however you sound like you recognize what you’re talking about! Thanks
You need to take part in a contest for top-of-the-line blogs on the web. I will recommend this website!
An interesting discussion is worth comment. I believe that you must write extra on this topic, it might not be a taboo subject however generally people are not sufficient to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers
Howdy! I just want to give a huge thumbs up for the good data you will have here on this post. I will be coming back to your blog for more soon.
This really answered my downside, thanks!
There are some attention-grabbing cut-off dates on this article but I don’t know if I see all of them center to heart. There may be some validity however I'll take maintain opinion till I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we want extra! Added to FeedBurner as nicely
you've gotten an awesome weblog here! would you wish to make some invite posts on my weblog?
After I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a remark is added I get 4 emails with the same comment. Is there any method you possibly can remove me from that service? Thanks!
The next time I learn a weblog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I imply, I know it was my option to read, however I truly thought youd have one thing fascinating to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you may repair in case you werent too busy searching for attention.
Spot on with this write-up, I truly think this website wants way more consideration. I’ll most likely be once more to learn much more, thanks for that info.
Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read anything like this before. So good to search out any individual with some authentic ideas on this subject. realy thank you for beginning this up. this website is one thing that's wanted on the internet, somebody with a bit originality. helpful job for bringing one thing new to the internet!
I’d have to test with you here. Which is not one thing I often do! I enjoy studying a publish that will make individuals think. Additionally, thanks for permitting me to remark!
This is the best weblog for anybody who wants to find out about this topic. You notice a lot its virtually exhausting to argue with you (not that I really would need…HaHa). You positively put a brand new spin on a topic thats been written about for years. Great stuff, simply nice!
Aw, this was a very nice post. In idea I would like to put in writing like this additionally – taking time and precise effort to make an excellent article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and by no means seem to get one thing done.
I’m impressed, I have to say. Really rarely do I encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you've got hit the nail on the head. Your concept is excellent; the difficulty is something that not sufficient persons are speaking intelligently about. I'm very completely happy that I stumbled throughout this in my seek for one thing referring to this.
Oh my goodness! an amazing article dude. Thanks Nonetheless I am experiencing problem with ur rss . Don’t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anybody getting similar rss problem? Anybody who knows kindly respond. Thnkx
WONDERFUL Post.thanks for share..more wait .. …
Mobile apps, news and games. Find out more! http://asredas.ru
There are actually quite a lot of particulars like that to take into consideration. That could be a great level to carry up. I offer the thoughts above as basic inspiration however clearly there are questions just like the one you bring up where crucial factor will likely be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged around things like that, but I'm certain that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Both girls and boys really feel the impact of just a moment’s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.
A formidable share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing a bit of analysis on this. And he in actual fact purchased me breakfast as a result of I discovered it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the deal with! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I really feel strongly about it and love reading extra on this topic. If potential, as you grow to be experience, would you thoughts updating your blog with more particulars? It's extremely useful for me. Large thumb up for this weblog submit!
After study just a few of the blog posts on your website now, and I truly like your approach of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark web site checklist and can be checking again soon. Pls take a look at my web site as well and let me know what you think.
Your place is valueble for me. Thanks!…
This web site is really a stroll-through for all the info you wished about this and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse here, and also you’ll definitely discover it.
There may be noticeably a bundle to find out about this. I assume you made sure good factors in options also.
You made some first rate points there. I looked on the internet for the issue and located most people will go along with along with your website.
Would you be excited about exchanging hyperlinks?
Good post. I be taught something more challenging on completely different blogs everyday. It'll at all times be stimulating to read content from different writers and observe just a little one thing from their store. I’d prefer to make use of some with the content material on my blog whether you don’t mind. Natually I’ll give you a link in your internet blog. Thanks for sharing.
I found your blog site on google and verify just a few of your early posts. Proceed to maintain up the very good operate. I just extra up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. In search of forward to studying extra from you in a while!…
I'm typically to running a blog and i really admire your content. The article has really peaks my interest. I am going to bookmark your website and hold checking for brand spanking new information.
Pontciz
Friend
Friend

Return to Installation Support